ArcherPoint Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer Digest - vol 5
The ArcherPoint technical staff—made up of developers, project managers, and consultants—is constantly communicating internally, with the goal of sharing helpful information with one another.
As they run into issues and questions, find the answers, and make new discoveries, they post them companywide on Yammer for everyone’s benefit. We in Marketing watch these interactions and never cease to be amazed by the creativity, dedication, and brainpower we’re so fortunate to have in this group—so we thought, wouldn’t it be great to share them with the rest of the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Community? So, the ArcherPoint Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer Digest was born. Each week, we present a collection of thoughts and findings from the ArcherPoint staff. We hope these insights will benefit you, too.
Faithie Robertson on trouble changing report layouts in Dynamics NAV 2013 R2:
In NAV 2013 R2, I found what appeared to be a new bug when changing report layouts, and once you get it, the object is toast until you replace it with an older copy.
I was moving along making changes and compiling and all was well, until the error below occurred:
“The definition of this report is not valid or supported by this version of Reporting Services. The report definition may have been created with a later version of Reporting Services, or contain content that is not well-formed or not valid based on Reporting Service schemas. Details: Index was outside the bounds of the array.”
Even when undoing my changes, (CTRL-Z), the error continued, making any further changes impossible.
I had to reload an older copy of the report. But even after reloading the old copy, even slightly moving a field, and then putting it back in its original position will cause the error. It's as if the platform cannot let go of the fact that an error has occurred. (Much like what I saw in the debugger as well - and the text is similar.) I tried restarting the service, and deleting object metadata, but it's still "infested".
It turns out I'm the bug. :(
I found the issue was that when I'd put this report into NAV 2013 R2, I text code merged it from NAV 2013 releases. At that time, early in using 2013 R2, I didn't know you had to upgrade reports by importing them from NAV2013 FOBs and then compile them to get new RDLC version 2010.
Since all prior changes to the layout had worked, I thought I'd dodged a bullet. But NOPE! It will let you have RDLC 2008 and the report will operate, because some of it is compatible with version 2010, which is used with NAV 2013 R2. But the minute you try to change something that isn't compatible, you'll see the error as I did - and it won't go away.
Faithie Robertson on turning Booleans into checkmarks on an RDLC report:
Here's a really cool tip for turning Booleans into checkmarks on an RDLC report. It's really quite simple!
Check mark in Microsoft Dynamics NAV Reports
Suresh Kulla on importing and exporting objects with PowerShell:
You can find PowerShell script to export objects and it also has a link for the import objects script
NAV 2013 R2: Export objects with PowerShell
Jon Long on Arrays as Data Source in XML ports Results in Empty Values:
If you set a Data Source as an Array (i.e., DataField) it will be empty on import, as opposed to DataField1. So, apparently, you can't use an Array as a Data Source. Not a huge deal, but, we're starting to see DataPorts with Arrays as the DataSource and we have no choice but to replace the Array references to vars, or the default, which is the node name. It wasn't apparent that this was the issue, because there are no errors.