Issuing Customer Refund Checks in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015
In some instances, an overpayment or credit memo results in an open or unapplied customer ledger entry.
The customer may request a refund rather than applying the payment or credit to a future purchase.
This blog provides step-by-step instructions on how to issue customer refund checks in Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
As you can see in the screen shot below, this customer has a credit memo in the amount of $382.86. We will refund this amount to the customer.
Figure 1. Customer Ledger Entries screen displaying a credit memo.
To issue a refund check in NAV 2015:
1. Go to Departments > Financial Management > Cash Management > Tasks > Payment Journals
Note: You can also type “Payment journals” into the search bar and select the payment journal, which is shown below.
Figure 2. Search bar displaying search results for payment journals.
2. Enter a manual Payment Journal line as follows:
- Posting Date – Date of the refund check
- Document Type – “Refund”
- Document No. – Leave this field blank, as it will be populated automatically with the check number when the check is printed. Note: If you’re issuing a manual check, enter the check number in this field)
- External Document No. – Use this as a reference field for the refund check (for example, return order number
- Account Type – “Customer”
- Account No. – Select the customer’s account number to which the refund check is being issued
- Description – This field auto-populates with the Customer Name
- Amount – Enter the amount to be refunded. Note: See Applies-to Doc. No. field below
- Bal. Account Type – Bank Account
- Bal. Account No. – Select the bank account number that the check will come out of
- Applies-to Doc. Type – “Credit Memo” or “Payment”
Figure 3. Payment Journal.
3. Applies-to Doc No. – Click on the drop-down arrow in the field and select the document(s) requiring a refund (shown above)
Figure 4. Customer Entries showing available documents.
4. Click “OK” and the Payment Journal Amount and Applies-to Doc. No. fields will be automatically populated (shown below):
Figure 5. Payment Journal with Amount and Applies-to Doc. No. fields automatically populated.
5. Print the check, and the Document No. field will be populated with the corresponding check number (shown below):
Figure 6. Payment Journal with Document No. field populated with corresponding check number.
6. Post the journal. You will receive the following message: “Journal lines were successfully posted.”
7. Click “OK.”
If you have any further questions regarding issuing customer refund checks in Microsoft Dynamics NAV, please contact ArcherPoint.
Read more "How To" blogs from ArcherPoint for practical advice on using Microsoft Dynamics NAV.