Jet Basics: Impfactful, Foundational Reporting with Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Excel
Jet Basics is a reporting tool that offers simple, easy reporting options for Microsoft Dynamics NAV users. As an extension included within the Microsoft Dynamics NAV solution, this tool provides a way to create basic, yet impactful reports, ad-hoc analysis, and business queries inside an application most people already know well, Microsoft Excel.
Not requiring any advanced programming skills, or additional development work, one can pull data directly into Excel from the Microsoft Dynamics NAV database. The functionality set is focused and limited to a few key elements. This narrow scope allows users to take advantage of significant Excel integration, with a very low learning curve for getting started. Set up and use happens in hours, not days.
Benefits of using Jet Basics include:
Financial and Budget Reporting: The “G/L” function provides a way to pull and access financial and budget information from Dynamics NAV directly in Excel. With only a few simple steps, you can have budgeted and actual amounts for any range of accounts and dates, as well as summaries across all your companies, which can be formatted to fit your business.
Business Queries: The Table Builder function was designed with many of the same look and feel elements that Dynamics NAV users are familiar with from the report request panel. The drag and drop interface simplifies report and basic ad hoc query building by using the familiar functions in Dynamics NAV and allows for easy formatting using Excel features such as pivot tables, charts, and slicers. The tool just looks and feels familiar.
Is Jet Basics right for your business?
The Jet Suite of Products offers a plethora of options to help your business be able to truly understand your data, and how to make intelligent business decisions based on that data. Determining what product is best for your business is the first step. Understanding more of the features and functionality of Jet Basics can help you decide if this version is the right fit for your business:
- Included in Dynamics NAV – Jet Basics is available as part of Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 and higher releases for all users that are current on their business ready enhancement plan (BREP). Jet Basics is not compatible with Business Central upgrades.
- Single Data Source – Jet Basics is limited to a single NAV database, and is well suited for reporting from that source, but is not capable of supporting data retrieval from other sources.
- Ad-Hoc Analysis – Users that do not have the skills or time necessary to create reports in Dynamics NAV, can now have the ability to create their own financial reports and business queries in Excel. However, keep in mind that the product is intended to be an introductory offering, and you'll likely hit limitations quickly if you are ultimately seeking advanced operational reporting or business analysis.
- Low Learning Curve – Users can typically get started in just a few minutes.
- Pre-built Reports – Like all of the offerings in the Jet Suite of Products, Jet Basics offers a suite of downloadable, easy-to-modify, ready-to-go, pre-built reports. From financial statements and sales queries, to inventory counts and AP details, the fastest way to success with Jet Basics is using the pre-built report library with the Report Player.
Talk to an ArcherPoint representative about how Jet Basics can help your company improve its business intelligence and reporting.