Jet Reports Suite of Products: Fast, Flexible BI and Reporting Solutions, Inside of Excel
The Jet Reports Suite of Products is an integrated reporting and business intelligence solution that ranges from individual ad-hoc reporting to enterprise level reporting and business intelligence.
With Jet Reports, whether you are a single individual who needs to create your own reports, a department or small business manager who is responsible for the needs of your team, or an executive, you can find the right offering to suit your needs.
Because Jet Reports offers a consistent look and feel throughout its suite of products you can decide the right fit and continue to grow your business information system as your needs grow.
Jet Reports utilizes a broad range of technologies, while maintaining an easy to understand user interface. Wherever you are in the suite, you can be guaranteed that the skills that you have learned along the way will help you get your job done. In fact, if you have used Microsoft Excel, you may already have many of the skills that you require.
Jet Express is the result of collaboration between the Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Jet Reports teams. It was created to provide Excel integration for Dynamics NAV 2009 users and compelling functionality for Microsoft partners to show during the Dynamics NAV sales cycle.
The target audience for Jet Express are users with knowledge of Dynamics NAV 2009 data structure who would like to do their own ad-hoc analysis and reporting in Excel.
Financial & Budget Reporting
The “G/L” function in Jet Express provides financial and budget information directly in Excel in any format that makes sense for your business.
Entering a few easy to understand values is all that is needed to get financial information into Excel. With just a few clicks, you can have budget and actual amounts for any range of accounts, dates and can even summarize across companies.
The Table Builder is a drag and drop interface that makes report building easy.
With the Table Builder, you can easily construct reports in column and row format, and take advantage of the rich and well known formatting capabilities in Microsoft Excel such as pivot tables, charts and slicers.
All companies are different, and some have more demanding reporting requirements. Jet Professional is designed for department level and small business reporting. Jet Professional includes features specifically designed for communicating results and providing the additional security required for small groups.
Jet Professional allows users to be classified as designers and viewers. Designers have the capability to design and run reports, and viewers are only allowed to run authorized reports. This distinction allows managers to know that the information that they have authorized is the information that is in use, but retain the freedom to authorize multiple report designers.
For additional security (a must for external reports), the scheduling and distribution capabilities of Jet Essentials allows you to distribute reports in well know formats including PDF which are small, secure and tamper proof.
Report Scheduling and Distribution
The powerful features of the Jet Scheduler also make it easy to distribute the right information to the appropriate individuals at the right time. If you have a sales team and want to send each their own results, the Jet Scheduler makes it easy to set this up. Since the scheduler never goes on vacation or gets sick, you know that the information is delivered on time, every time.
With the scheduler you can also create alerts to ensure that the right people are notified when needed. For example, it is easy to schedule an alert that will keep your accounts payable clerk from missing an early payment opportunity for invoices posted between check runs.
Complete Formatting Control
In addition to the capabilities offered in Jet Express, Jet Professional has advanced features that ensure that you have the power to create the reports that you need, regardless of the format requirements.
Leveraging the power of the familiar Excel interface, Jet Professional can help you to create compelling reports quickly even if you can’t write programs.
With Jet Professional users can create reports that automatically add rows, columns and/or sheets of information based on the content of their data. If, for instance, you want to create a report with information about each product category on its own page, you can do this with a single formula. As product categories are added or modified a click of the ‘refresh’ button will update the report to reflect the changes in your data.
With Jet Professional, you can decide how your report will look on a cell by cell basis, giving you unsurpassed flexibility to create dashboards and reports that will comply with any governmental or other reporting requirements.
Jet Professional supports small business teams that have data in more than one source and can connect to Microsoft Dynamics NAV, GP, CRM and virtually all OLE/ODBC compliant applications. With Jet Professional you can consolidate information from any number of data sources into the same report at any level of detail.
Regardless of the source of your information, or how much or little you need, you can feel comfortable that it can be easily included on your report or dashboard.
Jet Professional includes many features designed to save time, effort and reduce errors while creating reports.
Drag and Drop Data Browser with Data Samples – Jet Essentials users can enjoy a further understanding of their data with the ability to browse the information in the tables and fields directly to verify what they are looking at. All tables and fields (including customized data) are available and provide you with the additional information that you need to make sure the reports you are creating are accurate.
Report Writing Wizards – Reporting wizards make creating standardized reports trivial. You can create simple reports like sales by salesperson in about a minute. For Microsoft Dynamics NAV users, report wizards trivialize difficult to handle advanced dimensions and fully support flow fields eliminating the need for programming.
Snippets – A lot of time spent during report creation is spent on repetitive tasks. Snippets provide a permanent clipboard for your Excel logic and will save you time and help you to reduce errors when designing reports. Snippets can be easily shared with your team to help spread your productivity improvements.
Favorites – Most tables and fields are not relevant for reporting. With Jet Essentials, you can determine what is relevant and minimize the time and effort sifting through unnecessary information. If you have a team, creating and sharing your favorites can help you get them up to speed faster.
Advanced Table Builder Features
Reports don’t need to be complicated to be useful. Sometimes even simple functions like the ability to strip off the first character of a field can be very useful. Jet Professional allows any Excel formula to be used directly in the table builder and in doing so, significantly increases the capability of the feature. The contact list below is just a simple list of contacts in rolodex format. Easy, but useful.
The advanced linking functions that are available in the Table Builder with Jet Professional allows you to easily answer sophisticated questions like who else purchased a similar product. The inclusive/exclusive linking feature makes difficult reports such as lot tracking considerably easier.
The following indicators can help you determine if the Essentials version is the right fit:
- Security – If you are working in a small team environment rather than alone, the security features in Jet Essentials will provide you with more consistent and reliable results.
- Data Consolidation – Jet Essentials automatically consolidates information from any number of data sources into the same report. If some of your information comes from other sources than your enterprise system, such as a warehousing system, CRM, budgeting tool, etc., Jet Essentials may be a good fit for you.
- Distribution & Control – Distribution, security and alert capabilities within Jet Essentials are designed to help teams communicate results in a structured, secure and reliable manner.
- Training – The productivity features with Jet Essentials will reduce training time and costs. If it is your responsibility to bring others in your organization up to speed, the productivity features like favorites and snippets in Jet Essentials will be useful to you.
- Drilldown and Sample Data – If you weren’t involved in entering the information in the first place; drill down and the ability to review sample data can significantly assist you to understand what you are looking at while building or running reports.
- Ranked Analytics & Other Advanced Reporting Techniques – Ranking comparative values is a very potent way to show you what is improving, what is declining, and what is stagnant. This type of reporting is frequently referred to as rising/falling stars and allows you to quickly determine what is working and where to spend your efforts to improve. With user defined formulas in the table builder, Jet Essentials makes this type of reporting a snap. Jet Essentials also offers a wide variety of other utility functions that simplify handling date formats, set operations, and data sources. For Dynamics NAV users, Jet Essentials includes integrated web services and server-side processing.
- Advanced Formatting – Not all reports are rows and columns and not all financial reports are based on just a G/L Account. With Jet Essentials, you can format and group your information the way that is appropriate to the task and your business reporting needs. Well structured, self-explanatory reports save time during meetings. If you plan on sharing report results in a meeting setting, the advanced formatting capabilities of Jet Essentials will be very useful to you.
- Additional Filtering Capabilities – With Jet Essentials, users can easily set filters to include or exclude details from any reporting level. For example, it is easy to report on customers that purchased selected items during this year’s sales campaign and also participated in last year’s campaign. With a couple of clicks, you can even limit the results to participating customers that paid on time.
- Graphical Capabilities – A picture is worth a thousand words and can often be an essential part of reporting. With Jet Essentials, images within your production systems are now available in your reporting, can be dragged and dropped into reports, and are automatically refreshed when the reports are run.
Jet Enterprise is a unique system that offers full reporting as well as business intelligence based on a single version of the truth. This offering was designed to seamlessly increase the reach of your business intelligence and reporting platform to your entire organization and beyond.
Jet Enterprise allows you to tailor information to various audiences including the format and terminology that you choose. Jet Enterprise provides operational reporting and also allows top level decision makers who typically have no idea about data structures to review patterns and trends independently. Best of all, because the reporting and business intelligence comes from a single source, you know that strategic decisions are being made with the same vetted information that is being used to run the organization.
Business intelligence allows decision makers to focus on factors such as acquiring customers, increasing revenue and profitability, and outpacing competitors. It provides predictive analysis to discover hidden patterns, performance monitoring, and statistical results that help you discover trends to capitalize on opportunities or avoid expensive mistakes.
If your decision makers spend more time analyzing what is currently happening than planning for the future, the business intelligence and reporting capabilities within the Jet Enterprise offering may be a good fit.
The Jet Enterprise platform is optimized for speed of reporting and business intelligence and is fully scalable. Even if your organization has very large data sets, or a large number of users, you will not outgrow the platform.
Jet Enterprise includes a pre-defined data warehouse and set of cubes that can be installed and up and running in about two hours.
If you need to expand or customize the pre- defined warehouse and cubes, the integrated Jet Data Manager will help you. The Jet Data Manager provides a drag and drop environment, powered by industry standard Microsoft OLAP technology that significantly reduces the time to build and customize cubes.
With the Jet Data Manager, you can decide how your users want to see information, adjust the terminology and add new information.
The data manager includes data cleansing business rules that ensure that the information that you use to run your business is accurate.
The following indicators can help you determine if the Enterprise version is the right fit:
- Performance – Jet Enterprise provides a dedicated reporting database and business intelligence solution that is optimized for reporting. Production systems are optimized for putting information into the system, not getting it out. With a dedicated, high performance solution, you can determine when and where your production servers are accessed for reporting. Predefined OLAP cubes contain pre-calculated values for all dimension/measure combinations which is the fastest available technology for business intelligence applications.
- User Load – Most production systems can easily support a small number of users accessing the data directly. There are a variety of factors that determine how many users a system will support, but a reasonable rule of thumb is that more than 20 users may be an indicator that it is time to consider a dedicated reporting warehouse.
- Database Size – The vast majority of data in a typical production system isn’t used for reporting. Enterprise systems are optimized to write to the database quickly, which is what you want when entering data. With Jet Enterprise, the reporting and BI elements are optimized for fast retrieval which means even very large data sets will perform well. A general rule of thumb is that if your database is over 10 gigabytes you may suffer performance issues unless you are using a dedicated reporting warehouse.
- Security – Some production systems offer excellent security within the application and for external use. Other systems offer security within the application, but leave the database either completely locked down, or completely exposed. If your system is in the latter category, a simple and powerful security is essential.
- Advanced Security - Some organizations require data security based on the content of the data. This is frequently referred to as row level security. If you have responsibility centers, territories, salespeople, etc. and you want to restrict access by dimension, you may want to consider the Jet Enterprise solution.
- Legacy Data – If you are planning an upgrade, you can save thousands of dollars on data migration costs, and get much better results with Jet Enterprise. You no longer need to transfer and transform legacy data in your enterprise systems, simply use Jet Enterprise to consolidate it.
- System Integration – If your business requires web based reporting such as SSRS or document sharing such as SharePoint, Jet Enterprise can provide a single, secure platform to host your business information.
- Audience – If you have individuals in the organization that do not understand the inner workings of your enterprise system, that want or need to do independent ad-hoc reporting or analysis, Jet Enterprise is probably a good fit. Jet Enterprise has the best time to value and lowest training cost in the Jet Reports suite of products.